Emmaus Saturday Morning Men’s Bible Study
Jude Verses 20-25 May 29. 2004
Today’s theme: But you, dear friends come to the aid of those in need, whether they know it or not.
Scriptural background: “My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.” James 5:19-20
Quotes to think about
Strength of purpose."On this subject I do not wish to think, or speak, or write, with moderation. No! No! Tell a man whose house is on fire to give a moderate alarm; tell him to moderately rescue his wife from the hands of the ravisher; tell the mother to gradually extricate her babe from the fire into which it has fallen; but urge me not to use moderation in a cause like the present. I am in earnest; I will not equivocate; I will not retreat a single inch; and I will be heard." William Lloyd Garrison, Black abolitionist.
Taking what is not yours. “…all of you are thieves of holiness, all of you at war with Mercy.” Leonard Cohen, Canadian singer, poet, novelist.
Doubt, trust and faith. "Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation." D. Elton Trueblood.
1. Why is the evidence of a conscience so important?
2. Why is scoffing so deadly to your soul?
3. Many say they have the Holy Spirit but what proves the truth of the assertion?
20But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit.
1. Notice the joining of faith and prayer. Why is this important?
21Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life
2. How do you keep yourself in God’s love?
22Be merciful to those who doubt;
3. Why is it especially necessary to be merciful to those who doubt? Think about Isaiah 42:3.
23snatch others from the fire and save them;
4. What does this image of snatching out of the fire tell you about hope?
to others show mercy, mixed with fear--hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.
5. Why are fear and mercy linked together here? What truth is Jude revealing to us?
24To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy--
6. Remember what Jesus said in John 10:29 and what Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 4:9-11. Why is this important?
25to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.
7. Before, now and forever - where have you heard something similar? Why is it important?
Consider all you have read and studied in Jude. Ask yourself what God is asking of you and why he had you participate in this study. Then, act upon whatever God demands of you, in his power and in his grace.